Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Crisis On New Earth????

I’m still trying to process the news of the reboot. We don’t know much at this point, but it is looking like perhaps the reboot really is of the whole DCU. I’ve heard some theories that this will just be a new Earth-1, similar to pre-crisis comics where you had different versions of the same heroes every month or the Marvel “Ultimate” line. It appears though that that is not the case and we are actually losing the current ‘New Earth’.

I’m trying to figure out what this all means. Are we losing Stephanie? Tim? Jason? Cassie? Will Dick be Robin again? Barbara as Batgirl? Donna as Wonder Girl? So many questions and fears. I doubt we’ll lose Kara again because I just don’t think DC would be stupid enough to erase Kara from the DCU twice. Then again this is DC we’re talking about.

The current ‘teen’ line up (Steph, Cassie, Tim, etc) are all among my favorite heroes. I never thought I could love a Batgirl more than Babs…but Steph did it. Stephanie is *my* Batgirl. As much as the old school fans will never see anyone else as Batgirl but Babs, that’s how I feel about Steph now. Stephanie IS Batgirl in my mind. As for Jason? He’s Jason…he’s awesome. The idea of Steph and Jason no longer existing or ever having new canon makes me wanna cry.

A good friend of mine reminded me we can keep these heroes alive through the fandom. DC can change canon but they have no control over fanfiction and RPs. I have met so many wonderful people that share a love of my favorite heroes and that can’t and won’t change.

I wanna go on record to everyone from my RP that is reading this and say, this reboot WILL NOT in any way affect the RP. We have our own canon now that we will continue with in our own way for as long as everyone is willing.

In a similar note to those who read my fanfics, I will still write fanfics with Steph, Jason, etc. regardless of what happens. I hope everyone else will do the same.

The most annoying and painful part of this for me is that Steph gets screwed over again. She got screwed as Robin, she got screwed when they killed her, she finally fought her way back to earn the mantle of Batgirl and the respect that goes with it and now this shit. It’s crap and I hope DC knows what crap it is. Stephanie Brown is the best heroine ever, aside from Kara, and to constantly screw her like this is ridiculous. Just because someone at DC has this idea of Babs as Batgirl they won’t let go of doesn’t mean Steph should get screwed over. It pisses me off beyond belief.

As for Kara, I can’t help but remember the pre-crisis Kara and that it took 15 years to get Kara back. I do not want to lose her again. I hope DC has learned from Matrix and Linda Danvers that Kara is as much Supergirl and Clark is Superman.

What is comes down to is this, I love the characters of DC…namely Steph, Jay, Kara, and Dick. Now we all know Dick isn’t getting rebooted out. It just won’t happen. Steph probably will. Jay is up in the air. The only way I will continue to read ANY DC title is if they keep Kara. If I lose Kara AND Steph then you can be damn sure I will never purchase another comic book again.

This reboot has me nervous, but I think if we keep the fandom alive then I’ll be ok. So to all my friends: Amber, KingNorth, Gloria, Nat, Bek…and every other amazing person I’ve met through this fandom that I didn’t name, thanks for being my friend and here’s to keeping OUR fandom alive.

~ Cilla
6/1/11

0 comments: