Monday, June 6, 2011

Some Things Never Change...Even With a Non-Reboot

Ok, at the moment I'm infuriated and I needed a place to get it out. What better place than the forum in which I met all the wonderful fans of the DC Fandom.

First of all I want to explain that I put up with the constant frustration to canon because I truly love these characters. It's not their fault that Dan Didio (or Dan Dildo as I like to refer to him), Grant Morrison, and all the other pretentious idiots at DC Comics can't be bothered to respect them as they deserve to be. I love the 'next gen' heroes and heroines so much. Dick Grayson and Kara Zor-El will forever and always be my favorite hero and heroine. I have loved both since I was a little girl and I can't imagine not loving them. Perhaps this is why I'm such a Dick/Kara shipper. I digress. Since the return of Kara to the DCU Post-Crisis (which only took 20 years thank you very much) I have become a part of this fandom. I wouldn't touch it as long as there was a Supergirl that wasn't Kara. Once I started to learn about the fandom I fell in love with so many other characters. I came to adore the cool headed logic that Tim provided to his family (although I also say he's one of the most sensitive), I started to love the spunky kick ass bring it on attitude of Mia, I found the complexity of Jason to be other fascinating and endearing, and most of all I came to idolize and admire the plucky, never give up, take me as I am spirit of Stephanie Brown. I have always loved Batgirl in concept, but I never connected with Cass Cain and so the character of Batgirl became and after thought to me. Then Stephanie Brown took on the role and...I'm not ashamed to say I actually wavered on my loyalty to Kara. Truly. There were days I would pick up my books and read Batgirl BEFORE I ever touched Supergirl. I could relate to Steph...I could connect to her...she was who I would be if I had the resources to be a crimefighter. I could live vicariously through Stephanie.

But I digress, the point is that because of my love for these characters I put up with the frustration of Grant Morrison's Jason Todd, the 'death' and subsequent return of Bruce Wayne, the travesty that was New Krypton, and...well you get the idea.

That being said, when I heard about the 'reboot' (which DC is now saying is NOT a reboot) I went into panic mode. Does the DCU need work? Without question. But a 'non-reboot'? Really? I've invested a lot of time, money, frustration, and love into the DCU as is. Why not just, oh, you know, write better stories? Maybe a recon here and there...but a whole non-reboot? Really? It's rather extreme.

My first fear was "OMG STEPH!" and so far DC has done NOTHING to calm that fear. Today brought the announcement of a lot of Bat Family titles. Bruce is staying Batman and taking on Damian as his Robin. I like this. Assuming I don't boycott DC (more on that in a minute) I will actually pick up 'Batman and Robin'. Dick is reclaiming Nightwing. Love this because I love Dick best as Nightwing...although the red costume is very un-Dick IMO. Jason is FINALLY getting his own book. It's about time. They fixed his Red Hood costume so it's not the retarded looking Grant Morrison one and he's leading a team that has Roy as Arsenal. Long way from the Robin that died in a rigged phone poll. This book holds cautious promise. Then there are the others.

Batgirl will no longer be my dear Stephanie. It will be Barbara. Now, I know the men at DC have hard-ons for Babs in Kevlar, but Babs should never be Batgirl again. She is Oracle to this generation...she serves a greater purpose as Oracle....she is more inspirational as Oracle. Batgirl is honestly a backwards move for her at this point. It would be like getting a job promotion, doing that job well for years, and suddenly you're demoted to a previous position and you have to prove yourself all over. I know several hardcore Babs fans that are insulted and I don't blame them. I know of one that was saying that this is disrespectful to the character and they are mistreating her. Welcome to the club. Steph Brown fans know this feeling well.

As of the writing of this we have yet to hear about anything regarding the futures of Stephanie or Tim. Today was seemingly 'Bat Day' and two of the most important members of the Bat Family have yet to be mentioned. Business hours are drawing to a close and it seems Steph and Tim have been all but forgotten. And yes, I realize Cass hasn't been mentioned either but in all honesty I suspect she'll remain as Black Bat and she really hasn't been involved in anything except Batman Inc as of late. Steph and Tim have their own titles and nothing. Now, as far as Tim goes I could be swayed to believe that he is staying Red Robin so this isn't news as DC is focusing on announcing changes. But Steph? We know she isn't still going to be Batgirl. I'd say this is a pretty major change in the character! Will she be Spoiler again? Will she be part of Jason's outlaws? Will she become a supporting character in one of Bruce's books or maybe Dick's or Tim's (if he has one)? I wish I could tell you. (Update 6/8/11: Tim will continue to be Red Robin and lead the Teen Titans. This is confirmed.)

What I can tell you is that Batwing is getting his own book.

Who?

EXACTLY!

In Batman Inc we met 'Africa's Batman' that goes by Batwing. He's black. I don't say this to be racist, at all. I say this to make a point. That is the only reason Batwing is getting a book. DC wants to diversify comics. I'm ok with this. I get it. I relate to Steph because she's a white chick with blonde hair and blue eyes and has a sarcastic sense of humor....she's me. I totally get everyone wants a hero they see themselves in. I don't like diversification for diversification sake. That is what I feel is happening here. But even putting my feelings on that particular issue aside, because it's really not the point anyway, the fact remains that they announced that frickin Batwing is getting his own book...and Steph and Tim? Status unknown.

As I write this I keep refreshing Google news, hoping for a late announcement to void out my rant. So far nothing.

COME ON DC!!! Steph losing the Batgirl mantle is pretty fucking big news! How about you tell us what is happening to her? OHHHHH RIGHT....I forgot, Steph losing the mantle isn't the news. Babs getting the mantle back is.

There are admittedly some things in the DCU I'm potentially excited about...intrigued if nothing else. Namely Bruce and Damian working together, Dick as Nightwing, and Jason having a book. These are three books (along with the previously mentioned Batwoman, which is on track as always planned, so four books) that I would love to have on my pull list. I also found out there is going to be a Batarang controller available when Arkham City comes out and I'd love to have that. HOWEVER I WILL boycott all things DC if Steph isn't confirmed in some sort of role in the Bat Family soon. I'll stop all my current books except the remainder of Steph's Batgirl and Supergirl. And I spend a lot of money every month with DC. My monthly comic bill is anywhere from $40-80 if not more. I'm not going to spend that kind of money to see one of my favorite heroines mistreated AGAIN.

I could write a whole article on the ways DC has mistreated Stephanie and why that pisses me off. A month ago I didn't think that mattered anymore because Steph was FINALLY getting the respect she deserved. She was in the role she always should have had. She was Batgirl. Now? Well maybe DC hasn't learned anything at all.

I have never wanted to be wrong so badly. I want desperately to hear from DC that I'm wrong, that Steph is going to be Spoiler and have huge role in one of the Bat Family books. PROVE ME WRONG DC, PLEASE! Until then, the fact we know Batwing has a book and know nothing about Stephanie is enough to make me scream...and scream I did.

What it comes down to is this, the idiots at DC, especially Dan Dildo, seem to hate any heroine that isn't Babs or Diana. They put up with Kara because the backlash of her wipe was 20 years long and so they really don't have a choice. Stephanie has always been an after thought to them and this is proving to be the case again and I'm sick of it. I love this fandom, I love these characters, but I have never been more infuriated with DC than I am right now.

0 comments: